Review of IOS for Routers and Switch
- Subinterface – Commands that configure multiple virtual interfaces on a single physical interface.
- Router – Commands that configure an IP routing protocol.
Medium Sized Switched Network Construction
- VLAN is a logical broadcast domain that can span multiple physical segments.
- Trunk ports carry ALL VLAN traffic
- VLAN = Broadcast domain = subnet
- A native VLAN carries all UNTAGGED frames.
- VTP domain is one or several switches sharing the same VTP environment.
Server: VTP Messages are propagated over all trunk links.
Transparent: Changes affect the local switch only and does not propagate. Forwards advertisements but does not sync with other devices..
Clients: Advertisements are forwarded and synchronise with server switches.
VTP advertisements are flooded throughout the management domain, every 5 minutes or whenever a change is made.
Higher revision number -> more current information
To change the VTP config number:
- Change the VTP domain name or change it back
- Change to VTP transparent mode then back
VTP Pruning: Restricts the flow of traffic only to ports within the VLAN’s that the traffic is destined for -> Server mode only.
A trunk port cannot be a secure port.
- 1 Native VLAN
- 2 – 1001 Normal VLAN Range
- 1002 – 1005 Reserved for Token Ring and FDDI